The skin microbiota: why is it so important?Find out more
Our marvelous microbiota
Picture your gut as a big city. Well, a “Microbiota City” to be more precise.
Bacteria, viruses, fungi (including yeasts), parasites… Your gut microbiota is composed of all these living microorganisms1.
You should also know that you have bacteria in every other part of your body as well: in the ears2, mouth3, skin4, lungs5, urinary tract6, and even in the vagina7.
Get to understand what each of them does, the role they play in our body, and how each of us should take care of our microbiota.
What you may have missed
Acne, which is a very common skin disease during adolescence, is caused by hormonal changes associated with...Find out more
- Rinninella E, Raoul P, Cintoni M, et al. What is the Healthy Gut Microbiota Composition? A Changing Ecosystem across Age, Environment, Diet, and Diseases. Microorganisms. 2019 Jan 10;7(1):14.
- Xu Q, Gill S, Xu L, et al. Comparative Analysis of Microbiome in Nasopharynx and Middle Ear in Young Children With Acute Otitis Media. Front Genet. 2019;10:1176.
- Radaic A, Kapila YL. The oralome and its dysbiosis: New insights into oral microbiome-host interactions. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2021 Feb 27;19:1335-1360.
- Bay L, Barnes CJ, Fritz BG, et al. Universal Dermal Microbiome in Human Skin. mBio. 2020 Feb 11;11(1):e02945-19.
- Mathieu E, Escribano-Vazquez U, Descamps D, et al. Paradigms of Lung Microbiota Functions in Health and Disease, Particularly, in Asthma. Front Physiol. 2018 Aug 21;9:1168.
- Neugent ML, Hulyalkar NV, Nguyen VH, et al. Advances in Understanding the Human Urinary Microbiome and Its Potential Role in Urinary Tract Infection. mBio. 2020 Apr 28;11(2):e00218-20.
- Greenbaum S, Greenbaum G, Moran-Gilad J, et al. Ecological dynamics of the vaginal microbiome in relation to health and disease. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Apr;220(4):324-335.