Our marvelous microbiota
Picture your gut as a big city. Well, a “Microbiota City” to be more precise.
Bacteria, viruses, fungi (including yeasts), parasites… Your gut microbiota is composed of all these living microorganisms1.
You should also know that you have bacteria in every other part of your body as well: in the ears2, mouth3, skin4, lungs5, urinary tract6, and even in the vagina7.
Get to understand what each of them does, the role they play in our body, and how each of us should take care of our microbiota.
What you may have missed
Emollients and atopic dermatitis: proven benefits
Atopic dermatitis, sometimes called “atopic eczema”, is a chronic, allergic, inflammatory disease of the sk...Find out more
Allergic rhinitis: the first months of life are key
The first months of life are decisive for microbial colonization, including that of the nose. While early d...Find out more
Expert interview : Pr Michel Gilliet
Prof. Michel Gilliet is a Professor in the Faculty of Biology and Medicine at UNIL (University of Lausanne)...Find out more
War has been declared against Staphylococcus aureus
Microbial imbalance–or dysbiosis– of the skin, caused particularly by Staphylococcus aureus, and atopic...Find out more
Ruminococcus gnavus, an unfriendly bacterium
Even more than asthma, with which it is strongly associated, allergic rhinitis is the most common and consi...Find out more
- Rinninella E, Raoul P, Cintoni M, et al. What is the Healthy Gut Microbiota Composition? A Changing Ecosystem across Age, Environment, Diet, and Diseases. Microorganisms. 2019 Jan 10;7(1):14.
- Xu Q, Gill S, Xu L, et al. Comparative Analysis of Microbiome in Nasopharynx and Middle Ear in Young Children With Acute Otitis Media. Front Genet. 2019;10:1176.
- Radaic A, Kapila YL. The oralome and its dysbiosis: New insights into oral microbiome-host interactions. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2021 Feb 27;19:1335-1360.
- Bay L, Barnes CJ, Fritz BG, et al. Universal Dermal Microbiome in Human Skin. mBio. 2020 Feb 11;11(1):e02945-19.
- Mathieu E, Escribano-Vazquez U, Descamps D, et al. Paradigms of Lung Microbiota Functions in Health and Disease, Particularly, in Asthma. Front Physiol. 2018 Aug 21;9:1168.
- Neugent ML, Hulyalkar NV, Nguyen VH, et al. Advances in Understanding the Human Urinary Microbiome and Its Potential Role in Urinary Tract Infection. mBio. 2020 Apr 28;11(2):e00218-20.
- Greenbaum S, Greenbaum G, Moran-Gilad J, et al. Ecological dynamics of the vaginal microbiome in relation to health and disease. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Apr;220(4):324-335.